Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The right way for a huge tricep

Yesterday i received this question from one of my readers (Mr.John,Kansas).The very next moment I struck at an idea of making it a post which i think will be of help to many.
I've been working out regularly for the last one and a half year. I dedicate 3/4 of my arms workout to triceps. I do about 5 to 6 types of exercises for triceps (20 sets in all). How can I really bulk up my upper triceps? I do all mass builders like skull crushers, close grip bench, pull down, kickbacks etc. The weights I use are in the range of 20 pounds to 30 pounds. I really want to bulk up my upper arm in a big way!
Answer:
You're doing way too many exercises for your triceps! The reason you're not growing is probably because you're overtraining and your muscles are screaming to recover.
Here is a basic outline for the total number of sets for each muscle group:
Do no more than 10-12 sets for larger muscle groups. These include chest, back, legs, and calves.
Do no more than 6-10 sets for the smaller muscles. These include biceps, triceps, deltoids, and abdominals.
To really add mass, make sure to limit your workouts to an hour max and make each set really count by going to positive failure (after warm-up). If you have a training partner, have them spot you when going past failure and really push your muscles to grow. Stick to a rep range of 6-8 with the heaviest weight you can list. Get at least 3 minutes of rest between each set. Another key element is rest after your workout. Make sure to get at least 48 hours of rest between muscle groups to fully recover and grow.

No comments: